News:
Recently, this blog has been blessed with a visit from a big name artist in the comic book industry, Sean Phillips himself! He was gracious enough to bestow this piece of wisdom upon us:
Sean Phillips said...

Or better yet, buy the fucking books you thieving bastards!

Thank you, Sean Phillips! You the man!!
===
I love comics. Unfortunately, like books and movies, good comics are not easy to come by. There are far too many routine superhero and fantasy stuff flooding the market.

By starting this little blog, I want to share with you some of my favorite comic books. Give them a check, they may change your opinion forever. Or not. Just remember, to each their own tastes.

By the way, if you really love comics, support the artists, buy the books.

On the other hand, if you don't have enough money, don't get caught.

Captain America: HE WILL BE BACK

Remember the day they killed Captain America, in March 2007? A shock was felt all over the world, except in those countries where people don't know Captain America from Adam. Though I am no fan of any superhero, I was still very shocked and pissed-off because I have always liked Steve Rogers. But I had a nagging suspicion that it was all a cheap ploy to boost sales, that because no one ever really dies in comics the Cap will be back. I was right, and I believe many people had the same suspicion, too. They are bringing Steve Rogers back in Captain American Reborn.

What is that I am hearing? Oh yeah, comic fans everywhere are saying "I told you so".

The original Captain America is finally coming back," Marvel Comics editor in chief Joe Quesada told the Daily News. "We've been patiently planning for this moment for 2 1/2 years."

Read more


"Captain America" writer Ed Brubaker, who scripted the character's death and will also be scripting the five-issue "Reborn" series featuring Rogers' return, has already gone on record saying the gone-and-back strategy was planned from the very start. So, while response to Rogers' return has been mixed (with many of the most vocal critics of his death now equally critical about his return), the most important question coming out of the media frenzy could be the simplest: why did he have to die in the first place?


So, they had planned it all along, eh? That just confirmed what I have always thought: every time some big name get killed in a comic, that's just a cheap marketing ploy to make money. It worked wonderfully in the case of the star-spangled Avenger, though, didn't it? It boosted sales like crazy. And I must admit I am really happy to have Steve Rogers back. I can't imagine anyone else as Captain America.

However happy though I am at hearing the news, I am still extremely disappointed. I have officially lost faith in the comic industry. If you kill someone, let them stay dead, else what would be the fucking point? Deaths of important characters in comic books lose all emotional impact when you know they are going to pull a Terminator anyway. And that is the difference between mainstream comics and indie ones. DC and Marvel will do anything, anything, to make more money.

"Just because we're bringing back Steve, don't think you know everything we're going to do," said Brubaker. "I wouldn't have 'Captain America: Reborn' be this big of a deal and not have some tricks up my sleeve."


Of course I expect no less. I expect fans are going to spend a shitload of money on a truckload of issues before they finally get to see Steve Rogers back in costume.

0 comments:

Post a Comment